Friday, September 11, 2009

more FUN!

The photo below is of the black pieces batching. I dyed 1 fat quarter in the conatiner and the shirt in the bowl. This is the 2nd time I've dyed fabric on fabric. This is not as dark as the 1st piece but, it will work for the projects I need it for.
This shirt was folded for tie-dye and dyed with black.

This is the back of the black shirt.

The following photo is of the conatiner I batched the blue pieces in.

This is a cute shirt I bought to dye. The buttons were covered with fabric. I've never seen that done before.

Here's another cute shirt I found yesterday. It looks great after being dyed with blue.

These shirts were dyed for our grandson and his friend.

I found another pair of pants to dye.

Thirty minutes after the other blue pieces had been added to the dye bath I added the following shirt.

The following is a shot of my purple pieces batching.

There was only 1 of this cute shirt.

I was hoping that the decorative stitched threads on the front of this shirt wouldn't take the dye. They did and they are a bit darker than the rest fo the shirt. I never know how the thread is going to take the dye when I dye shirts I buy at the store.

Thursday, September 10, 2009


Wednesday was FUN! I found a shirts and pants I liked that were white and marked down. I bought them, brought them home and put them in the wash. That was in the early afternoon. Before dinner I mixed up the dye (deep purple from prochem) and the chem water. I dyed all the pieces in this pot in the bucket below! (yes, even the light blue ones!) This was a shirt I already had a home. I love the way this shirt fits.

This is the new shirt, the white thread has a large contrast. Fabric content on the following shirts is 56% cotton, 40% rayon & 4% lycra. They're light wieght and very comfortable. I wore one of them today!
Another new shirt, the white thread is less noticeable. This is the front of the shirt. This shirt was folded for tie-dye. I really like the effect.

This is the back of the shirt. I LOVE it. THis may end up being my new favorite shirt!

These are the pants. They turned out great!

ok, this one was put into the dye bath at 2 hours and the blue hadn't completely exhausted. This shirt and the socks ended up being a great light blue. I went back to the stores today. I found more shirts (different styles) and more pants (these are a petite-they may end up being shorts). I may be inspired enough to do some dyeing today! This was so much FUN!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Discharge piece

This discharge piece was done several years ago on a retreat. I used a stencil in the middle and instant mashed potatoes in the other areas. We had a demo on this retreat and we used a dollar store spray bleach to discharge. The Kona black discharged to rust.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

dyeing fabric

I don't get around to dyeing fabric as often as I would like to. I've created this blog to encourage myself to dye fabric more often.